Call for Papers – Governance Matters section of State and Local Government Review
The Governance Matters (GM) section of State and Local Government Review (SLGR) invites complete submissions as well as proposals from authors for individual articles or topic specific collections in a symposium format for potential publication in 2021. Prospective authors are encouraged to contact Grant Rissler, SLGR GM Editor (email@example.com) about any ideas for this section of the journal.
The GM section of SLGR features peer reviewed applied research on state and local government of interest to both practitioners and academics. In 2018, GM articles represented 3 of the 5 top downloaded articles from SLGR. Mainstream news sources such as the New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, The Hill, among others, have cited a 2019 GM article.
Articles published in the GM Section may include case studies or other empirical pieces and should highlight implications for a practice as well as academic knowledge. In the past, a variety of timely governance topics included:
- social media use
- capital budgeting
- local government fiscal health
- core values in local government organizations in practice
- mitigation strategies in flood control
- social equity impacts at the local level of federal budget choices
- environmental sustainability
- local home rule and municipal takeover
- municipal human resource strategies in challenging times
- alternatives in city-county consolidation decisions
- adopting and implementing recreational marijuana policies
Submissions from early career and international scholars are specifically welcomed.